Instantiate template to persistent
|Category:||Core & System|
|Target version:||Release 4.8|
Currently, if an user wants a persistent instance from an existing image, it must do the following:
1. Clone the image
2. Create the template with the image ID from 1
If an admin wants to pre-create templates for their users, it can't do so because the image id is not static.
Also, from the API side, implementers must keep state and wait for the clone to be ready.
Instantiating persistent images should be as easy as volatile images.
My proposal is the following:
1. Add a variable to the IMAGE section of a template, that says "Instantiate this image to Persistent" (ex.: PERSISTENT="yes").
2. When the template is instantiated, Opennebula:
2.1 Clones the source image
2.2 Waits for the clone to succeed
2.3 Adds the ID to the new instance before starting it
3. Only one action is required by the user/admin/API client.
#3 Updated by Ruben S. Montero almost 6 years ago
- Status changed from New to Closed
- Resolution set to fixed
This is partially implemented by the new save feature thats save and image and clones the associated template. This is included in the new cloud view workflow ans should cover the same use case.